Tony’s Market was established in 1877. It’s located off Dukes County Avenue in Oak Bluffs, a side street, just outside of the busier downtown area — you might not even know this little hidden gem is tucked down the road. A neighborhood convenience store with parking, and everything from Band-Aids to beer. One of the most fascinating things about Tony’s is that you can go in and get really everything you need in just one stop.
Their hours are worth noting: On typical days they are open from 6:30 am to 9 or 10 pm, depending on the season. They are open 364 days of the year, with the exception of Christmas Day, which is incredible, and very helpful in a pinch. On holidays their hours may be shortened, but they’ve got their doors open for any forgotten items. The store is incredibly charming and has a small-town neighborhood feel, with familiar faces among frequent shoppers, and employees who make you feel comfortable, even if you drop in wearing your sweatpants.
When you walk in, there might not be a trained barista waiting to make you a fancy coffee drink, but they do have a self-service coffee bar stocked with fresh hot and iced coffee. They have a number of different blends along with flavored syrups, creamers, or just the cream and sugar. You can craft your own coffee for one of the lowest prices on the Island.
The deli prepares sandwiches and wraps for both breakfast and lunch. Made to order in-person, over the phone, online, or using their handy downloadable phone app. Some of the favorites are the steak and cheese, chicken salad, and the breakfast sausage egg wrap.
They have something to eat and drink for every type of day:
- A beach day: Grab a sandwich made to order or from the premade deli case with a bag of chips, and a cold drink (or six-pack of beer).
- A long day at work: Choose from two cases of homemade dinners, ranging from spaghetti and meatballs to a salmon rice bowl, ready to pop into the microwave.
- A sick day: Grab a sleeve of saltines, ginger ale, and a can of soup.
- A rainy day: A bottle of wine, frozen pizza, and a pint of ice cream.
- A payday: Build yourself an epic charcuterie board — fancy cheeses, cured meats, dried fruits, nuts, pickled olives, and fresh grapes.
- A special occasion: Tony’s sells everything from fresh flowers and greeting cards to local goodies made by Sweet Bites.
Tony’s Market is a year-round favorite with locals and visitors. If you don’t know about Tony’s Market, you’ll have to stop by. Let’s just say, if you know, you know.
Tony’s Market, open year-round at 119 Dukes County Ave. in Oak Bluffs. For more information, menu, and hours, call 508-693-4799 or visit tonysmarketmv.com.